Wisdom: The Essential Virtue of Intelligence in Kids
According to a YoungMinds survey, 41% of young people said that the pandemic had made their mental health much worse. In today’s world, children are facing growing pressures: demanding school schedules, overexposure to technology, the distraction of the internet, and self-imposed expectations can leave children feeling restless, listless and disconnected. A way to help youth combat the negative psychological and physical impacts of the pandemic is to provide a safe space and guidance to access and cultivate wisdom
Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself. (Rumi)
- Is a core characteristic valued by philosophers that can be understood as a love for learning.
- Is gained out of a love for learning that employs curiosity and strengthens creativity.
- Leads to kids being optimistic about their ability to learn new things.
- Does not require a person to be an expert in an area.
- Develops from learning new things. Wisdom can be experienced learning any topic!
- Helps you work with a topic despite frustrations – in order to gain knowledge simply for the pleasure of learning!
- Allows a person to make substantial contributions to the arts, to science, and to humanity.
Wisdom and Yoga
Yoga is a discipline that focuses on bringing harmony between mind and body. It is an art and science of healthy living. The breathing exercises and relaxation techniques learned from practicing yoga can help children with stress management and allow them to access inner thoughts, feelings, and sensations. These insights are vital processes that comprise WISDOM. Teaching children how to discern inner and outer sensations and observations in a healthy way is an important life skill that will help them as children and as adults.
Tap Into Wisdom With These 6 Yoga Poses:
- Increases flexion and extension in the spine, opening space in the upper back and chest
- Deepens navel to spine connection, connects to internal body wisdom aiding in overall awareness
- Strengthens the shoulders, arms and hands, creating heat in the body, preparing for practice
Extended Triangle Pose
- Strengthens the core, side body, neck and back, supporting a stable and balanced body
- Opens the heart activating a sense of wisdom and joy from within
- Brings awareness to alignment of the spine in a lateral orientation, requiring you to tune into the messages your body tells you
One-Legged King Pigeon Pose
- Intense hip opener, offering opportunity to soften and surrender to gravity
- Invites a deepened connection with the breath over time
- Brings emotional release and a cleansing energy to the body
- Regulates the metabolism and helps to improve digestive function
- Reduces symptoms of depression and insomnia
- Opens space in the back of the body, encouraging healthy lung function
Legs Up the Wall Pose
- Has a calming and grounding effect on the nervous system, helps to prepare the body for rest
- Restores an equilibrium in the body and reverses blood flow in the legs and feet allowing for rejuvenation
Supine Spinal Twist Pose
- Massages the internal organs, aiding in digestive function and relieving symptoms of bloating
- Equalizes the energy running up and down the spine serving as a reset for the body
- Increases flexibility and overall health of the spinal column
Access Wisdom With These Post Art-Making Questions
Engaging in art-making can help bring about greater personal, interpersonal and psychological understanding because art expression employs creativity to examining experience. Expression depicted through the innate creative intelligence no matter what the medium, opens up a space for the hidden and unknown to come become visible, which lead to greater insight and wisdom.
- What thoughts led to your initial selection of the materials?
- What thoughts emerge as you look at your artwork?
- What feelings emerge as you look at your artwork?
- What thoughts led to your decision on the title?
- How is this artwork relevant to my past, present, and/or future life?
- If this artwork could speak, what would it say?
Little Sage Workshops
In Little Sage workshops, participants are invited to build strength, flexibility, and acquire artistic skills in tandem with cultivating character strengths and overall resilience. Every 90-minute workshop includes developmentally appropriate mindfulness methods (e.g., yoga, breath work, creative movement), art-making techniques, and supports social-emotional learning through solo and collaborative group work.
Check out our upcoming Wisdom, Art + Yoga workshop and other workshops this Fall!